|This article is about the 2019 film. You may be looking for the book, After.|
|“||There are moments in our lives that seem to define us. Moments we keep going back to. My life before him was so simple and decided. And now, after him, there's just... After.||”|
— Tessa's opening monologue
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Based on Anna Todd’s best-selling novel which became a publishing sensation on social storytelling platform Wattpad, AFTER follows Tessa Young (Langford), a dedicated student, dutiful daughter, and loyal girlfriend to her high school sweetheart, as she enters her first semester in college. Armed with grand ambitions for her future, her guarded world opens up when she meets the dark and mysterious Hardin Scott (Tiffin), a magnetic, brooding rebel who makes her question all she thought she knew about herself and what she wants out of life.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Josephine Langford as Tessa Young
- Hero Fiennes Tiffin as Hardin Scott
- Dylan Arnold as Noah Porter
- Shane Paul McGhie as Landon Gibson
- Pia Mia as Tristan
- Inanna Sarkis as Molly Samuels
- Khadijha Red Thunder as Steph Jones
- Selma Blair as Carol Young
- Samuel Larsen as Zed Evans
- Swen Temmel as Jace
- Jennifer Beals as Karen Scott
- Peter Gallagher as Ken Scott
- Meadow Williams as Professor Soto
- Anna Todd as Vance Publishing Woman
Awards and Nominations[edit | edit source]
|Year||Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Outcome|
|Teen Choice Award||Choice Movie: Drama||After||Won|
|Choice Movie Actreses: Drama||Josephine Langford||Won|
|Choice Movie Actor: Drama||Hero Fiennes Tiffin||Won|
|2019||People's Choice Award||The Drama Movie of 2019||After||Won|
Notes and Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The rights to the film were originally sold to Paramount. However, Anna Todd wanted more freedom when it came to adapting the film. The rights were then given back and eventually sold to Aviron.
- Julia Goldani Telles was originally cast to play the role of Tessa Young. She left the project due to creative differences and fear that the role would soil her career.
- Because Julia exited the project, the character of Tessa had to be recast in under a week and was the only character not to have chemistry reads.
- The trailer for the film earned 10 million views in one week.
- Hardin's copy of Wuthering Heights is the copy that Anna Todd had as a teenager.
- Each character was given their own Spotify playlists and Instagram accounts. The Instagram accounts predominately play into the film and doesn't feature any book content.
- After themed wallpapers were posted on Pinterest for downloading. They can be found here.
- Anna Todd had a cameo in the film, in the scene where Tessa is going in for her interview at Vance Publishing (film location). Anna can be seen exiting the building.
- The library scene was filmed at 3:00 am, and the entire cast and crew were delirious from exhaustion.
- The bet-revealing scene took sixteen-hours to film.
- On March 20, 2020, Anna Todd spoke on the deleted scenes from the film. She said she wanted to include all of the scenes but didn't have that ability.
- On April 12, 2020, to commemorate the first anniversary of After being released, a global watch party was organized. Anna Todd live tweeted during the event alongside some cast and crew members.
- The last scene filmed was the aquarium montage.
- They shot an R-rated film for the first parts of the film but had to tone it down for the distributors due to the PG-13 rating. Anna was confused at first as she thought they were filming an R-rated film.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Promotional[edit | edit source]
Screencaps[edit | edit source]
Behind the Scenes[edit | edit source]
Soundtrack[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]