Biography and Career
Josephine Langford was born in Perth, Western Australia, and raised in Applecross, a riverside suburb of Perth. She is the youngest daughter of Elizabeth Langford, a pediatrician, and Stephen Langford, a flying doctor and the director of medical services at the Royal Flying Doctor and Service Western Operations. Her older sister, Katherine Langford, is also an actress.
She always wanted to pursue her acting career. She wanted to write and sing songs that played on the radio as a child.
She began acting at the age of fifteen, appearing in several short films such as Sex Ed (2013), When Separating (2013), and Gypsy Blood (2014). She made her screen debut in the indie film Pulse (2017), which screened at film festivals. She also starred as a supporting actress the same year on the American horror film Wish Upon, acting alongside Joey King. She also made her television debut in 2017 on the Australian series Wolf Creek.
On July 9, 2018, it was announced that Langford was set to star as Tessa Young in the film After, which is based on the 2014 new adult fiction novel of the same name written by Anna Todd. She was nominated for and won a Teen Choice Award for her role as Tessa Young. A sequel, After We Collided, was announced in 2019, with Josephine and co-star Hero Fiennes-Tiffin set to reprise their roles.
In 2019, Langford also appeared in the American horror anthology web television series Into the Dark as Clair. In November 2019, it was announced that Langford had been cast as Emma Johnson in the Netflix film Moxie, which is based on the novel of the same name written by Jennifer Mathieu.
|2017||Wish Upon||Darcie Chapman|
|2020||After We Collided|
|2020||At the Peak of It All (YouTube short film)||Narrator|
|2021||After We Fell||Tessa Young|
|2022||After Ever Happy|
|TBA||The Other Zoey||Zoey Miller|
Awards and Nominations
|2019||After||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actress: Drama||Won|
Notes and Trivia
- Jo originally auditioned for the role of Molly in After. She did two auditions for "Molly" before she found out the role had already been cast. She was only cast as Tessa one-week before filming began.
- She read the first book and the script while on a plane to start filming.
- Jo was the only potential "Tessa" who didn't have a chemistry read with Hero.
- She has read the entire After novel series.
- Additionally, Jo admitted in an interview that she read the first few pages of After on Wattpad several years before being cast as Tessa.
- Her zodiac sign is Leo.
- She loves to watch Netflix and a variety of movies and television shows.
- Among her favorite movies are Die Hard, Dark Knight, Inception, and Thoroughly Modern Millie.
- Her favorite After character aside from Tessa is Hardin.
- Josephine's favorite tattoo that Hardin has is anything with writing.
- Her first impression of Hero was, "Gosh, he's tall".
- The costume department custom-tailored a green slip dress that Tessa was originally going to wear for the WCU frat house party in After, but they ultimately went a different direction. Josephine was able to keep the original green dress.
- Josephine learned how to ice skate for her role in After We Collided.
- After months of fan requests, Josephine was able to be photographed by Damon Baker, a popular social media photographer known for his emotional pieces.